Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Pre-Pay service electronic keys?

On Sun, 7 Jul 2019 07:22:57 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:
snips

If she got the receipt then it worked.

Ok. ;-)

If she took it to another place, could they tell her if it has any
credit on it or not (proving the key 'works' and there is credit on
it)?

Probably not.

Hmm, I was thinking on the lines of yer Nectar card when they can put
points on *and* tell you the points that are on there and what they
are worth?

How do Bulb get their money? Does the key determine that via the
payment terminal?

Yes.

Ok. ;-)

I don't know that she followed (or saw) their online guide re using a
new key (in case it matters):

I think it may do.

There may be more to it that what I first understood. It turns out
daughter has successfully used the Bulb key a couple of times so it's
not the initial 'registering' thing I first considered / reported to
be a cause.

Plug your Bulb key into the meter and wait for 60 seconds
This will register your key. Once that’s done, we’ll be your official
supplier of green electricity.
Top up at your nearest Paypoint, Payzone or Post Office"
So, are they saying there you *have* to 'register the key' (with the
meter presumably) *before* you add credit and try to use it,

I think so.

It turns out that in her absence, the 'flatmate' had used the old BG
key and whilst it didn't do anything credit wise, it may explain why
the meter is now not talking to the key? ;-(

When I got a new key (they actually sent me to the shop with a reference number) I got the key which they updated on the payment terminal with the ref number, then I went home and keyed-in to the meter, then I took the key back to the shop and got some credit.

It might be what she will have to do in the morning with Bulb CS but
over the phone (the TAG code thing)?

It might be worth (and probably won't do any harm) taking the key to the shop again and asking them to put it in the terminal, then back to the meter ...

I think she's going to try to call Bulb first thing tomorrow, they
might suggest that etc.

She can also try Power Cuts on 105 and reporting loss of supply due to faulty meter. They might refer it back to the Bulb or they might come and legitimately bypass the meter to put her back on supply temporarily.

She is down to ~70p tonight (from £1.16, not £1.60 last night) and has
been out all day herself.

Cheers, T i m