Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer is offline

Default Plumber's Snake Oil?

Someone has just asked me about the device sold to stop
your water pipes and tanks furring up, which consists of
a coil wound around the pipe that is then excited by
an oscillator.

Personally, I think the whole thing to be bollox.

Does anybody know the physics behind it?

I cannot see how orienting the calcium saly ions
in one particular direction will stop furring up
some distance away especially if there has been
turbulent flow in between.

I advised him to get a water softener fitted instead.