Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Funicular railway power question

On 07/07/2019 15:46, Tim+ wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
The Natural Philosopher has brought this to us :
It is three phase and the rail is one phase and is earthed.

Phases are only phased with respect to each other, they dont care
about their
relationship with 'earth'.

I see how that would work now. I had in mind star, with the centre
point grounded - a delta output transformer with one point to ground
would do it.

Oh well,Im glad someone does. ;-) Our physics classes never
progressed to
three phase power when I was at school and Ive never had a need to
understand it in any depth (or at all really) since then.

Blimey.

I sort of thought that anyone in a DIY group would have basic electrical
knowledge

The only one I have ever actually worked on was at my mate's small
business. Unless you have three phase at home for a lathe I'd have
thought even fairly experienced DIY people wouldn't come across them.