Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Netbook, back again

On 07/07/2019 12:58, GB wrote:
On 07/07/2019 11:59, T i m wrote:
On Sun, 7 Jul 2019 11:37:51 +0100, ss wrote:

snip

Router:

https://imgur.com/wOf8ffd

A dual band Wireless cable router. ;-)

I also have a VM Hub and the first thing I did with it is put it into
'Modem Mode' and use my own router.

I think there are some things you can do re making it less fussy (as a
WiFi router) but I can't remember what.

Cheers, T i m

p.s. If the netbook 'worked on that router before but doesn't now', it
could be a firmware update to the router that has affected it:

https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/wire...a-hub-3-review

"To be fair, Virgin's been working on that issue. In March 2019, the
company announced a major firmware update to the Hub 3, including
three new measures aimed at improving performance. These are automatic
channel-switching, which tries to minimise wireless interference by
switching away from congested radio frequencies; band steering, which
shunts devices from the 2.4GHz band onto the faster 5GHz band wherever
possible; and a new "airtime fairness" feature that prevents any
individual device from monopolising the airwaves and slowing
everything else down."

A couple of points to add.Β* The label says how to access the settings
page. Type the "http.... " into the address bar of your browser.

Is the Asus netbook able to see the router on 5GHz?Β* It may only have 2.4.

Irrelevant.

What is clear is that te netbook is seeing the wifi and trying to
connect using WEP which is insecure and not really recommended and may
not in fact even work.

BT - I assume its a BT POS router - dont even put WEP network passwords
on the router.

Only WPA2

Hmm. After googling some more it appears that POS is probebly right and
BT routers seem to start to die and this is possibly a symptom

My guess is uts a home hub 3?

Id try asking BT for a newer one

--
€œIt is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established
authorities are wrong.€

ۥ Voltaire, The Age of Louis XIV