Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dennis@home Dennis@home is offline

Default Pre-Pay service electronic keys?

On 07/07/2019 12:30, T i m wrote:
Hi all,

Daughter recently took on her stepsisters flat when she passed away
recently (39) and in the process of cost-cutting, went from British
Gas to Bulb as her electricity supplier.

She was sent a new 'key' and yesterday put £20 on it but when she put
it in the meter, got an error message:

'Your new key isn't talking to the meter correctly' ;-(

Support isn't open until Monday and she only has £1.60 credit (as of
last night) and so is a bit worried about the fridge freezer (she left
it that late because it warns when you put in the new key in it will
wipe any remaining credit. A lesson learned though might have been to
do it during office hours).

So, she's switched off all but the essentials (mainly just the
fridge/freezer) and will ring them on Monday and hopefully get it
sorted (do some '8 digit TAG code to re-program her key' thing?) but I
have no experience of such so wondered if anyone could answer any
questions please?

Like, if she got credit put on the key, would the shop get any
acknowledgement that it had worked correctly (eg, could they have seen
it f-up but taken her 20 quid anyway (she has the receipt))?

If she took it to another place, could they tell her if it has any
credit on it or not (proving the key 'works' and there is credit on
it)?

How do Bulb get their money? Does the key determine that via the
payment terminal?

I don't know that she followed (or saw) their online guide re using a
new key (in case it matters):

"How do I start using my Bulb prepayment key or card?
How to use your electricity prepayment key
Use up all the credit on your meter before you plug in your new key.
This is important, otherwise your new key will wipe your existing
credit.
Plug your Bulb key into the meter and wait for 60 seconds
This will register your key. Once thats done, well be your official
supplier of green electricity.
Top up at your nearest Paypoint, Payzone or Post Office"

So, are they saying there you *have* to 'register the key' (with the
meter presumably) *before* you add credit and try to use it, or is the
last sentence just a general guide to the fact you can top these keys
up at many places? Should that last line be in the 'how to use your
key' guide?

Obviously Bulb c/s should be able to answer some of these questions on
Monday but I'd like to find out more in the meantime.

Additionally, is it possible to have more than one key ... so that
maybe we could get / have one and help her out now and again?

Cheers, T i m

There is usually an emergency button that will give a small credit in
the event of you running out. You still have to pay as it will be
deducted from the next credit added.
I think you can only use it once before adding credit.