Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Need condensatori or capacitor for mini max bandsaw

On Sat, 6 Jul 2019 19:09:15 -0400, John McGaw wrote:

On 7/6/2019 6:14 PM, Terry wrote:
I have a 230 volt single phase 1.8 hp mini max S45 band saw and am looking for
a capacitor the name plate on the motor says its a 35 MF but I have not been
able to find that number on the comar sites I have visited ( Comar is the mfg.
of the capacitor. Can anybody help?

Is it something like this or does it have only two connections? Finding a
capacitor should be relatively trivial but, in my experience, finding one
that fits perfectly in the provided space can be tricky.

If you can examine (carefully,with the mains disconnected!) the existing
capacitor and can find the manufacturers name and model your work should be
simple.

Interesting that he's said the manufacturer's name and two answers say
"find out the manufacturer's name". The manufacturer's name that he
mentioned is "Comar", which is an Italian manufacturer of motor and
lighting capacitors.
https://www.comarcond.com/en/

Looking at their catalog, they seem to have two ranges of motor
capacitors, MK450 and MK450A with the major difference appearing to be
that one is rated for 10,000-30,000 hours and other for 1000-3000
hours.

https://www.comarcond.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/MKA-450-1.pdf

Column 2 of the tables for the MK450 and MK450A series is highlighted
in blue and marked "CN (uF)" at the top. This is the column where one
would look for the capacitance.

Note the Pcs x bag column, it seems that they only sell directly in
lots of 50, so it will probably be necessary to buy from a
distributer--they should be able to identify a distributer in your
area for you.

Note that if the size, connectors, voltage, and capacitance match, you
can use any brand. If you can't find one where the voltage matches
you can use one for a higher voltage if it physically fits and has the
same capacitance.