Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Funicular railway power question

It was done on large three phase motors on radars which tended to have to be
tested with covers off, and it was most certainly earthed on one rail.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Vir Campestris" wrote in message
Why would they be? If the rails were earthed...

a three phase supply doesnt have to have each limb symmetrical with
respect to earth.

Consider a star or delta transformer with one phase earthed.

I just spent ten minutes trying to check you out - and failed. I can't
find anything saying that in either English or French.

One of the few other such systems is the Jungfraubahn, which I went on a
couple of years ago. I'm damn sure there isn't a live rail - I walked
across the track - so your guess must be correct.

Or you have a source I couldn't find!

Andy