Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default chip breakers for plastics

On Sunday, June 23, 2019 at 10:30:01 PM UTC-4, wrote:

I think we are going to first try using air to suck the chip streams out of the machine. If that does not work well we might try CO2 cooling. I would think cooling would help with holding tolerances and finish, but not so much with actually getting the chip to break. Might be able to program pauses that would limit the length of the chips to 5 or 10 feet.

Will post our sucess or failure.

Dan

The program was changed to include " pecking " and now the problem is manageable. The chips are maybe 2 feet long and can be removed by hand. Not a perfect solution, but as long as the chips are removed after machining each part, the chips do not clog the machine.

Peek is somewhat flexible and the chips can be cut with scissors. So it might be possible to make some sort of motorized cutter to cut the chips to a much shorter length, but it does not seem a high priority to do that.

Dan