Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default An old cable I am not familiar with

On 06/07/2019 17:03, ARW wrote:
Steel braided PVC cables found in an Airey house.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...aireyhouse.jpg

Possibly never intended for domestic use and may have been used in pits
and quarries is one suggestion I have had. The cables cores are stranded
copper and the imperial equivalent of 1mm.

Anyone seen it before?

Is that a wire braid outside? The insulation looks a bit like rubber
rather than PVC, which suggests it might be pre-WW2?

"In the 1930s the first trials with PVC insulations were being made in
Germany and by the end of the second world war there were significant
varieties of synthetic rubbers and polyethylene.

By the 1950s PVC was commercially viable and replaced rubber cables in
many areas particularly in domestic wiring, aluminium was also starting
to be used widely as an alternative conductor"

https://www.elandcables.com/the-cabl...ctrical-cables