Posted to uk.d-i-y
Robin Robin is offline

Default 3-way immmersion heater electrical connection?

On 06/07/2019 09:10, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 5 Jul 2019 14:11:03 +0000 (UTC), Maurice wrote:

At the moment each heater is separately connected, with the inherent
danger that someone will try to switch BOTH on, with a consequent fuse
overload.

So "seprately connected" is to the far end of the same bit of 2.5 mm
immersion heater radial wiring rather than the far end of two
seperate 2.5 mm radials?

The former is a bit of a bodge IMHO, prospective maximum load exceeds
that capacity of the fixed wiring. If it really is that I'd run in
another 2.5 mm radial if there is a spare way in the CU for it or
upgrade the existing radial to 4 (6?) mm and change the MCB
(presuambly or are you still on wired fuses at the CU?).

or a second run of 2.5mm with both connected to /one/ (uprated) MCB or
fuse? I know some deprecate it but 2.5mm is cheaper than 4mm and may be
easier to fit.

--
Robin