Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] wright.todd@gmail.com is offline

Default How many therms (natural gas) do you use per day (per month)?

On Saturday, February 16, 2008 at 3:24:44 PM UTC-5, Donna Ohl, Grady Volunteer Coordinator wrote:
I'm curious how I compare with others in my natural gas usage.

I used 120 therms in the past 30 days (about 4 therms per day).
HOW MANY THERMS DID YOU USE LAST MONTH?

I do realize that there are _many_ factors that affect usage but there is
only one number for your final usage. That's what I'd like to compare.

I just received my bill. For the 29 days ending 19 June, my abode (3 people, gas furnace and water heater) we used 3.810 therms total. The only thing that we do that is super energy efficient is an instant water heater that I insulated further. I am something of an environmentalist, so we waste nothing here. YMMV.

P.S. During frigid NH winters, we use ~50 therms/mo. It's all in temp. control, proper insulation, and use of timers.

P.P.S. I looked at our running total usage for the last 12mo. period. Total came to 244.3 therms. If we had sane winters, that 4 therms/mo. would flatline.

Electricity last month came to 225 kWh. It too goes up a bit during dark, cold winters - which is all of them, but they are trending less cold - but only by several kWh as the furnace blowers(there are two) consume a bit of power.