Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Clutch failure?

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Cars with flappy-paddles monitor the pressure and temperature of
multiple valves in the mechatronics unit that operates the clutches.

Which type of box with flappy paddles?

DSG

So the early type with a single clutch? Later ones have twin layshafts and
clutches so you get no interruption of power on a gearshift between
sequential gears. And are rather more gentle on those clutches. Nothing
from that appears on OBD on mine. I'm told the clutches should have the
same life as the gearbox.

But the synchromesh type have multi plate wet clutches, hydraulically
operated.

aka mechatronics, but I should have said it operates the gear changes as
well as the clutches.

Indeed.

The first SMG type box I tried was pretty crude. Nothing like as smooth as
a conventional auto under normal use. Although certainly not bad when in a
hurry. The later twin layshaft type pretty well as smooth as a torque
convertor auto in normal use, but without the transmission losses, and
changes gear even faster than the SMG. The only downside is the auto
clutch ain't quite as controllable as a torque convertor when creeping -
like when parking. But a small price to pay.

--
*The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.