Posted to alt.home.repair
Shadow Shadow is offline

Default Are cemamic knives really sharp?

On Wed, 03 Jul 2019 14:34:06 -0400, micky
wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 03 Jul 2019 10:22:14 -0300, Shadow
wrote:

On Tue, 02 Jul 2019 16:42:12 -0400, micky
wrote:

Are cemamic knives really sharp?

Are some sharper than steel knives, like this ad says?

https://www.amazon.com/Ceramic-Knife...-search&sr=8-5

"The sharpness of our ceramic knife is 10 times than ordinary kitchen
knives,"?

"Ordinary kitchen knives" are not sharp at all, unless you
sharpen them. If I left sharpening to the wife they'd barely cut
through a banana, and I'd be forced into a life of decadent
vegetarianism.
[]'s

Maybe there is some difference in how we interpret "ordinary kitchen
knife".

I'm sure those knife sets that are sold are already sharpened.

They usually are.

I bought 3 large knives at a yard sale 10 or 20 years ago. I don't even
take care of them and they're still sharp.

Every few years I buy a paring knife at the supermarket. They're still
sharp, just not quite as sharp, when I buy a new one.

Why on earth do you buy new knives ? Mine are all 40 years
old. Scissors too. I bought too many thinking they would wear out.
They didn't.

Re sharpening:

A steel just straightens the blade. You need a stone to
actually hone it (not too often). I have an old leather belt from the
hippy 70's (4" wide, an ex-girlfriend I can barely remember threw it
out and I salvaged it) to "strop it".
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004