Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Amazon, TV remotes and DIY

On 03/07/2019 21:10, Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer wrote:
On 03/07/2019 20:56, Peter Johnson wrote:
On Wed, 3 Jul 2019 16:44:28 +0100, Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs
Computer wrote:

Actually, as this is a DIY forum, perhaps one should attempt
to tackle a homebrew device to replace all the remote controllers,
TV, Freeview PVR, Freesat PVR and Tosh VHS/DVD PVR in one control box?

My Logitech universal remote controls the TV, PVR, DVD and hifi, with
scope for more. (DIY insofar as it needs connecting to the Logitech
website to be configured and for mapping buttons.)

Sounds interesting

What model number?

The Harmony 650 does 5 devices I think. The 665 does 10.

The 650 is discontinued, but widely available. The 665 costs little more.

At the more expensive end is the Harmony Elite which I think uses your
wifi and comes with a hub for siting near your devices and can connect
to Alexa.

I have the older 600 and it is beginning to give up now, but was used
for many years and does still work.

It has become less important for me, because CEC has taken over the job
of turning the TV on and off with the boxes and selecting the right
input and now we only normally use one box plus the Blue-ray player, so
two remotes is no real hardship. The 600 has been relegated to operating
the hi-fi separates for some time.

SteveW