Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Clutch failure?

On 03/07/2019 11:40, NY wrote:
Likewise - usually because of my foot, instinctively feeling for the
non-existent clutch, catches that stupid double-width brake pedal that
all automatic cars are fitted with for some godforsaken reason. I
*never* brake with my left foot in an automatic: a) because I never want
to brake and accelerate at the same time, so the same right foot will do
for both, as in a manual, and b) because my left foot is attuned to
larger, often less precise movements of the clutch pedal, so I wouldn't
instinctively have the fine control to apply the brake without pressing
too hard (*knowing* is one thing, reflex action in an emergency is quite
another).

I ALWAYS brake with my left foot on an automatic because there are
really sound and very very practical resons to use the brake and
accelerator at the same time.

1/. When wanting to pull away smartly, mediuem revs and foot on brake
allwos realse of brake like a cluch to get the vehicle smartly off the mark.
2/. When wanting to force a kckdown mid corner, use brake and
accelerator then release the brake to accelerate out of the corner.

3/. When parking especially on a slope, so that you don't control a car
that is effectively in gear all the time, on the accelator and then have
to switch to the brake to stop it demolishing the garage. Friend of mine
did that.

The problem I have is then missing the brake on a manual and depressing
the clutch. Takes me about 5 minutes to get back into manual mode,

If I have to do a hill start in an automatic, I don't use my
left foot as I am pressing the accelerator with my right foot - I use my
handbrake, as in a manual.

Umm. You shouldnt need to use a barke at all in an auto to do a hill strat.

And I almost always (*) go into neutral and
apply the handbrake at traffic lights, as in a manual, to avoid me
having to keep my foot on the brake - something I would regard as a
hanging offence (!) because it dazzles the driver(s) behind at night.

I put the ****er in 'park'.

--
There is nothing a fleet of dispatchable nuclear power plants cannot do
that cannot be done worse and more expensively and with higher carbon