Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Clutch failure?

On 02/07/2019 21:36, Steve Walker wrote:
On 02/07/2019 11:32, NY wrote:
"T i m" wrote in message

(*) I wonder if some of these car-crashes-into-supermarket "the car
just took off - I couldn't stop it" incidents are when the engine is
racing at 2000 and the driver lets the clutch in slightly more than
normal (or his clutch foot gets tired) and the car lurches forwards.
Much better to use the lowest engine speed that will still pull
without stalling - less opportunity for error ;-)

In most cases the cars involved seem to be automatic.

It is likely that the driver has missed the brake pedal, caught the
accelerator, but thinks that their foot is on the brake and so presses
harder and everything happens so quickly that there is no time to
correct the error.

I was in a crash caused by that error as a rear seat passenger. The
other driver insisted they pressed the brake as hard as they could but
their speed increased and there were no skid marks (pre ABS brakes).

Police crash investigators concluded they hit the accelerator pedal.

I have declutched the brake on an automatic car more than once - usually
in an unfamiliar hire car when approaching a complicated pay station
chicane in some horrible dingy multistorey carpark.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown