Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY[_2_] NY[_2_] is offline

Default Clutch failure?

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
On Tue, 02 Jul 2019 18:30:18 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

It may make sense to change the clutch sooner rather than later. To
avoid damage to the flywheel.

If it's a diesel, it seems the done thing is to replace the DMF at the
same time ... or get shot of the vehicle.

Quite.

I can remember simply replacing the driven plate in years gone by.
Clutch cover and flywheel still OK. ;-)

It was a false economy job beloved of back-street cowboy workshops.
Especially if the bulk of the cost of the job was the labour to remove
the gearbox.

Some garages would love to charge you all over again for the engine-out
labour to replace the DMF at a later date.

I was impressed with my garage who recommended that I have the water pump
replaced (*) at the same time as the cambelt was being routinely changed, to
avoid me having to pay twice for the labour, given that the water pump is
driven off the cambelt on my car.

(*) Even if it seemed to be working fine. Cost of water pump is much less
than cost of labour to remove it.