Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Clutch failure?

On 02/07/2019 23:52, Fredxx wrote:
On 02/07/2019 21:44, Steve Walker wrote:
On 02/07/2019 12:11, wrote:
On Monday, 1 July 2019 22:45:55 UTC+1, Steve WalkerÂ* wrote:

have had to change the clutch on due to wear was my first car (a Yugo
45) and that had been a driving school car before I had it!

what are Yugos really like?

Well that was in the '80s. Yugos and Ladas (part of my learning was in
a Lada) were basically older Fiat designs or at least based on Fiat
mechanicals.

I'm sorry but I disagree. The Lada, have no idea about Yugos, had the
floorpan and bodyshell of a Fiat 124.

The engine and running gear, brakes and suspension were Russian design.
And as rugged as hell.

I recall an issue with calipers, where a round cylinder was held/pressed
into a carrier. Naturally it would stop being round and the piston seize
in the bore.

They were overhead cam (chain driven), some had Weber carbs. The
thermostat was a sophisticated bypass affair. It was fearfully
uneconomical!

You learn something new every day.

SteveW