Harry K

Default Figuring loads / block & tackle theory

(Doug Miller) wrote in message . com...
In article ,
(Harry K) wrote:
"Greg O" wrote in message
"Harry K" wrote in message
om...
This is for Greg O and Doug Miller;

40
40

That is what you have without the second extension to the bottom
anchor. Now metally run a line from the top to a second anchor. Have
you added anything?

Simple experiment to prove it without a scale:

Bucket with 20 or more lbs weight.
line.

Tie line to bucket and lift.

Now step on the loose end of line and pull the slack out with your
other hand.
Has the weight changed in your hand holding the bucket?

Harry K

You lost me here!!!
I don't unsderstand what slack you are refering to.
Your drawing is correct though, but what we have been discussing is
differant.
Greg
Greg

You did understand the first part?
If it is the second part, the slack I am referring to is whatever is
hanging loose leading from the hand holding the line/bucket to your
foot. In effect your line/bucket hand is the anchor at the top, your
foot is the anchor at the bottom.

What we are discussing is the -same- thing.

NO! It is *not* the same thing, because you're *holding* that rope in your
hand. That apparently "minor" difference changes *everything*.

Oh for gods sake. How dense are you? Here to make it -really- simple
for you which I shouldn't have had to explain. Your had is
substituting for the top anchor! Try again but make some sense.

I am just trying to
simplify it down to one step at a time until you can see the logic
here.

Admirable goal. But you must be careful not to alter the problem as you
simplify, and you have just altered it.

Okay, show me where it has been altered. You can't do it, it is the
same problem with your hand substituting for the hook.

No matter how you try to sidestep and adamantly refuse to
accept reality, there is no 80 lbs in the the original problem.

No matter how *you* try to "sidestep and adamantly refuse to accept reality",
equilibrium is equilibrium, and you're still wrong.

For some reason you seem to refuse to do any experiment that will show
you are wrong.

Harry, I'm beginning to think that your mind might be just a bit closed. I've
*done* the experiment. And I thought, going in to it, the _same_ thing you
did. (Read my original post in this thread.) The experiment proved me (and
you) wrong.

I just checked all the posts I could find and I didn't find one where
you did any experiment. If you did please give me the number of the
post and I will rechcheck it.

I did see where you caught me on the 20 vs 40 lb on left right side
which I admitted to screwing up.

It would cost you less than $10 to buy a scale and
cheap pulley to test it yourself.

I already have a scale. I did the experiment. You're wrong.

So do it again only give the diagram you use and the readings you get.
It will only take minute and involve only two weighings (1 for bucket
then one for strain on hook). I don't see what is keeping you from
doing it, it isn't like it'll cost you anything. It only took me a
minute to repeat the experiment this morning. Buket 26 lbs, hook 26
lbs with the bitter end of line tied off to a bottom anchor. Go ahead
and do it, don't just run your mouth until you do.

You have refused to believe my
readings but have not shown which if any you think are incorrect much
less -why- you think so. The closest you came was "readings all over
the place". How about some specifics?

Read your own damn post, Harry. Your numbers were inconsistent.

Again, Post just -one- of my readings that is inconsistent and we will
discuss it. All you have done is claim numerous times that I was
careless, that the readings are wrong, that the instruments are bad,
etc. It will only take a simple cut and paste for you to really
discuss where you have problems with the readings.

Harry K