Posted to uk.d-i-y
David David is offline

Default Dry lining boxes in the floorboards

On Tue, 02 Jul 2019 13:31:46 +0000, David wrote:

On Tue, 02 Jul 2019 12:56:57 +0000, David wrote:

Following advice I am mounting (or trying to) single 13 amp sockets
with a flip lid into the floorboards.

I ordered Appleby dry lining boxes from Screwfix.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/appleby-1-gang-47mm-dry-lining-box/83270

After a major struggle I managed to get the Cat5e faceplate into the
first box, and worked out that the screw holes were not quite lining up
because of the method of fixing into the hole.

The yellow tabs fold into the inside of the box, then fold out through
the wall after you have inserted the back box through the hole.

I'm sure that I have used these successfully in plasterboard before.

The problem that I am seeing is that the yellow tabs don't quite fold
into a vertical position - they toe in slightly - so whilst I can get
the first screw in by offsetting the face plate a bit I can't get the
second screw to take because the metal thread in the yellow tab is not
quite vertical.

This is not helped by having to wrestle the sprung lid of the socket to
get at the screw heads. Any raddling of the fitting lifts the plastic
box and moves the orange tabs back down and at a far greater angle from
vertical.

Has anyone found a smart way of doing this, or can recommend another
brand of dry lining box which doesn't have this "fold out clip"
arrangement?

Just worked out what it is.

Box won't fit anything deeper than about 12.5mm - 15mm.

The floorboards are about 18mm.

So I have to trim a bit of plastic off each box.

I can see now that there isn't any depth specified for the shallow box,
but the deep box says " Allows 6.35mm to 15mm plasterboard depth.".

So I have to trim about 3mm off the white plastic bits where the yellow
tab clicks in.

Ho hum.

Yep - that worked.

Just need one more box and I'm done.

Mission creep with the Ethernet socket used up an extra dry lining box.

Cheers

Dave R

---