Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Removing a broken screw

Maybe this is the way to stop tower blocks going up in flames, low
temperature melting fixings. That meads the cladding falls off and only
kills passers by.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
Had half an 80 mm screw (5mm diameter) break off level with the surface of
mortar between bricks yesterday. It was held in by a plastic wallplug.

Having wondered about using a screw remover, drilling it out, and several
other suggestions on the internet, I thought about using heat. I have a
soldering head for a gas-powered blow lamp, so heated that up and applied
it to the end of the screw for a few minutes. After a while I pushed some
narrow-nosed pliers into the soft plastic on either side of the screw and
was able to grip it and turn the screw a little. After repeating this a
few times the screw was out enough to grip it properly . After about 15 mm
was out, I was able to pull it out with the remains of the plug.

Maybe this has already been suggested, and of course it would be of less
use with a screw in a heat-sensitive surface. But it might prove useful if
other methods fail.

--

Jeff