Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default non-stick saucepans and caustic soda!

On Sun, 30 Jun 2019 05:53:03 +0100, Stephen wrote:

The other day I decided to use them at home to cook some pasta but
some got burnt onto the bottom of the pan.

HTF do you burn pasta onto the bottom of a pan?

Which brings me back to the question: which saucepans do you recommend?

Stainless steel.

I use gas at the moment but one day might like to use induction.

Make sure any stainless pans you get are also suitable for an
induction hob. Stainless steel by itself isn't magnetic and won't
work on an inudction hob.

I'm thinking non-stick just isn't worth it?

Sort of works, provided you leave things to soak for a bit (couple of
hors) in hot water with washing up liquid. The golden film of
denatured fat/oil will appear after a while and require an
extorionate amount of elbow grease to remove. The coating doesn't
last either.

Best to learn to cook without burning things, on gas or induction
that should be a doddle as when you turn it down/off the energy input
to the pan immediatly goes down or off.

On electric be that rings, solid plate or halogen there is far to
much thermal inetria, so it's far to easy to over or under shoot the
required setting. The simple time based on/off control also means
that the temperature of the pan varies greatly which a) burns stuff
on the peaks or b) makes it hard to judge if the setting is correct
as how the contents look like they are cooking depends on when you
look in the on/off cycle.

--
Cheers
Dave.