Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default diameter of holes for extractor fans?

On 30/06/2019 09:04, Stephen wrote:
Hello,

My hob has a cooker hood above it but it has been installed in
re-circulation mode. If I change the carbon filter it might absorb
smells but it will not do anything about steam, so I would like to
convert it to extract outside. That would be straightforward: the hood
is about 6.5' or 2m ish from the wall. I could run ducting along the
top of the cupboard units.

What ducting is best: circular or rectangular? I know the oblong one
can be hidden behind a pelmet but I'm happy to have unsightly circular
if that is better - does one shape offer less resistance to the air?

The thing that may be a problem is that the wall is only 2' wide. Then
there is a french door in the wall and I'm not sure whether there is a
lintel above it.

I'm just wondering whether I can cut a 6" hole in the wall for the
extractor fan if the wall is only 2' wide; that's a quarter of the
width of the wall, which sounds a lot.

OTOH I live in a semi, so although I only have 2' on my side, there is
another 2' on my neighbours side which mirrors mine.

What do you all think?

Another option that I have used before is to install the ducting between
the joists esp with the chimney hoods.

--
Adam