Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John B.[_7_] John B.[_7_] is offline

Default chip breakers for plastics

On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 06:00:58 -0500, Pete Keillor
wrote:

On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 21:36:03 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

wrote in message
On Friday, June 21, 2019 at 4:20:05 PM UTC-4, Joseph Gwinn wrote:

The key is to use SHARP HSS tools intended for plastic,

Joe Gwinn

I understand that one can buy HSS inserts that fit in the tool
holders for carbide. But I can not locate a source. Any one know
where one can buy them?

Dan
---------------------------------------

https://littlemachineshop.com/info/inserts.php

Arthur R. Warner. https://www.arwarnerco.com/Default.asp

I don't want to get into any arguments but I grew up and did my
apprenticeship in the High Speed Steel days and I must say that the
way we were taught to grind high speed tool bits resulted in a
substantially different tool than what I see used with "insert" type
tool holders which I suspect might be better for turning something
like plastic.
http://www.steves-workshop.co.uk/tip...olgrinding.htm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrDr4rYLiAk
--