Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tricky Dicky[_4_] Tricky Dicky[_4_] is offline

Default Flooring a loft with chipboard loft boards

I need to extend the floored area of my loft. The loft consists of trusses supporting the roof which is quite a low pitch so you cannot stand up in it.. Previously I attached 3 X 2 cross members to the trusses 300mm above ceiling height so not to compress the insulation. I then used loft boards screwed to the cross members to form the floor. Owing to the variable spacing of the trusses to get the boards short edges to rest on the cross members meant a lot of measuring and cutting wasting a lot of material in the process not to mention time. This time I am thinking of avoiding the cutting so I am thinking of staggering the boards which will mean most of the short ends will end up in space and hoping the T&G of the adjacent boards will provide the support. The flooring is only to provide crawl space whilst I get some wiring done. Anyone done something similar and does it provide adequate support for an overweight not so agile OAP to crawl around and work in?

Richard