Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill[_18_] Bill[_18_] is offline

Default DIY laptop swap.

In message , "dennis@home"
writes
So in summary it appears you can change from AMD to Intel without doing
anything special by swapping disks.

Swapping the MB and the disk didn't require manual activation.

I've found that to be well worth a try in the past.

I took the HD from a failed AMD-based Acer laptop and put it into an
Intel based Lenovo X201, expecting to have to do a full install. But it
just worked.
I then upgraded the x201 from whatever it was running (Vista or W7?) to
W10, installed a few different drivers and it all activated.

I remember all this specifically because I had been running a lot of usb
diagnostics on the Acer which had revealed problems with the AMD chipset
for which AMD subsequently issued a patch.

I passed the X201 on to someone else and they are still happily using
it.

It can be a bit of a crapshoot, though.

..
--