Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jeff Urban Jeff Urban is offline

Default Hickok 440 Curve Tracer Repair Help

You can't attach things here. Bama probably has it but I can't confirm it right now because of this wonky MODEM that is going back to SBC with stab wounds, three bullet holes and half burned by a Bernzomatic torch. I am seriously about to jump ship but the only other thing I can get here is Hughesnet and in this area since there is a temporary rain forest to the south every year it is going to drop when it rains south of here just like the Dish TV thing.

But you probably got it online, just throw up a link.

I suppose I don't have to tell you to scrutinize every small signal PNP in there right ?

Nice thing is they all work the same. You should be able to put a low value resistor on the base drive and derive current that way. the noise and whatever have to be there. You can leave that on one channel of the scope and just start going backwards with the other. Unless you already have, if you are sure it is at the beginning of the "chain".

Nice to have it localised of course but when things get old they get weird failure modes. I have seen PC boards that worked for more than a decade and then came to me and looking for a bad connection on the board bending things a huge piece of solder simply came off the copper. It wasn't clean enough when they wave soldered it but it took all that time to manifest itself.

I think on this unit you are probably down to the small caps. some of them like to be a piece of wire sometimes.

More later, I am going to go shoot the MODEM. Don't worry I got another one..