Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Arlen G. Holder Arlen G. Holder is offline

Default Does the macadem road surface have a great effect on tire wear?

On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 17:23:21 -0400, Clare Snyder wrote:

Looks like pretty decent ASPHALT to me.
Definitely not "Macadam" - or tar and chip.

Hi Clare,
Thanks for suggesting that where I always "assumed" macadam and Asphalt
were the "same" thing, but where you make a distinction, which I
appreciate, and where this is the overall surface at the moment:
https://i.postimg.cc/T1PF9QHt/mount43.jpg

Here's a snapshot of the "layers" that I took this morning for you:
https://i.postimg.cc/SNJHYT9s/mount45.jpg

Some people called the lower layers "chip seal", where I'm a bit confused
as to how people use the terms "asphalt" and "macadam" but I'm using it
interchangeably (our of ignorance).
https://wikidiff.com/asphalt/macadam

Nonetheless, the question is whether _this_ road surface is having any
major effect on the wear of the tires given the road is windy and steep
such that the trucks gouge many of the corners like claws scraping at the
surface.
https://i.postimg.cc/pX44ffQB/mount46.jpg

While the road surface is pretty smooth where many of the turns are almost
unnoticeable, such as this gradual almost flat curve
https://i.postimg.cc/wxf5CyS6/mount42.jpg

Some of the turns you do notice though, such as this basic hairpin:
https://i.postimg.cc/kGhZh80q/mount44.jpg

The end result of either the curves or the road, is this type of one-way
unidirectional feathering on the outside edge of the front tires:
https://i.postimg.cc/pT71cQZG/mount41.jpg

It doesn't only happen to my vehicles, as I've inspected quite a few, such
as this Lexus SUV today.
https://i.postimg.cc/G3HWPtQg/mount39.jpg

Do you think the MAJOR contributor to this Lexus SUV wear has much (if
anything) to do with the coarseness of the road surface?
https://i.postimg.cc/8zVxVHVx/mount40.jpg

It seems to be the same as this BMW SUV wear, doesn't it?
https://i.postimg.cc/g004XCLW/mount37.jpg

Both are impeccably maintained by the stealer, and both travel the same
road where, the diagnostic goal is to figure out whether the road surface
has any appreciable effect on the reputed "camber scrub" we've been
discussing.
https://i.postimg.cc/wTf1xnzJ/mount36.jpg