Grur

Default Slate Roof Question

The new house I'm buying has a slate roof on both the house and 2 car
garage.

The home inspector said the slate on the garage is going to need some
repairs in the neighborhood of a couple of thousand bucks -- not a big
area, but expensive because it's slate. He said the roof on the house
is basically sound, but based on the age and the look of some of the
slate, I should expect on doing annual maintenance of $300 or so to keep
it sound.

I'm wondering if it's a reasonable strategy to just remove all of the
slate from the garage, save the usable slate for reuse on the house, and
just replace the garage roof with asphalt. The garage is only visible
from the back of the house and the alley, so I don't feel like it's a
major aesthetic issue.

Obviously, the final decision will come down to estimates from roofers,
but I'd like to get a little more educated before I talk to them.

Issues I can think of a

Labor -- how labor intensive is it to strip slate from a garage roof in
way which won't damage it?

Storage -- is it possible to store half a garage roof's worth of slate
in the unheated garage so it won't take up a ton of room, won't get
damaged from frost, etc.

Value of slate -- is this likely to yield enough slate to significantly
reduce the cost of repairs to the house roof? I know the cost of
repairing slate roofs is high, but I don't know how much is driven by
labor and how much by raw material.

Thanks for any ideas.