Posted to alt.home.repair
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Lead acid battery charger (or alternator) switching to trickle with load present?

"trader_4" wrote in message
On Sunday, June 23, 2019 at 2:54:41 PM UTC-4, Rod Speed wrote:
"trader_4" wrote in message
On Sunday, June 23, 2019 at 9:56:21 AM UTC-4, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 6/23/19 8:39 AM, trader_4 wrote:

And so far I haven't seen any evidence presented here that shows
modern
ones can tell the difference and care about it either. The ones
I've
seen, still have a voltage regulator in the alternator that
functions
like it has for most of the last century. Rod claims to know so
much,
including that they use the resistance of the battery cable to
measure
current, but he can't produce anything other than his own flapping
BS
gums and he's likely just doing the usual, making it up on the fly
and lying.

One problem with what he's suggesting is the connection from
the
cable to
the battery itself if I understand what he's saying. I've seen so
many
bad connections
over the years. Wiggling that connection or putting a sheet metal
screw
in it changes
the resistance dramatically.
A few feet of wire in an engine compartment won't have much
resistance to measure.
It would take a very sensitive tester to measure that little bit. 14
awg copper wire has about 2.5 ohms resistance per 1000 feet. #2 awg
wire has about 0.16 ohms per 1000 feet.

Bingo! We have a winner!

Nope.

Exactly what I was thinking when I said it seems unlikely
that they would use the resistance of a heavy, 2g battery
cable to try to measure current flow to the battery.

What is measured is the voltage drop across that cable.
Thats what gives you the current thru it, stupid.

You have 3 feet of wire, to determine whether the battery
is getting 100ma or 10 amps, good luck with that,

Trivially easy to do by measuring the voltage drop across that cable.

especially in a potentially noisy environment, with
system loads turning on and off rapidly, etc.

That doesnt happen with the car running.

Figure out how small those voltages would be.

Trivially easy to measure and the arent that small
with the total current the entire electrical system
takes and with the current thats charging the battery.

And note I'm not saying that some cars, somewhere don't have
some more advanced system, it's certainly possible, maybe to slightly
reduce wasted energy, at the expense of increased complexity.

Nothing to do with wasted energy.

Show us any reference that says this is what is actually done.

Dont need one, he car clearly doesnt keep the voltage constant, ****wit
child.