Posted to alt.electronics,uk.rec.driving,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Lead acid battery charger (or alternator) switching to trickle with load present?

Brian Gaff wrote

Yes indeed, the nominal output of an alternator can be as high as 15
volts, but even a fully charged car battery is only 13.8v as far as I know

They are a bit higher than that just after being charged.

and these days, I'm sure the direction of current flow and voltages are
monitored very well by the computers. In the old days it was a bit of a
black art just relying on the ability of the alternator or dynamo in the
old bangers.
Normally the output will change due to engine speed, but in alternators
there is a voltage regulator inbuilt to keep the thing pretty nominal
and of course the thing that then suffers is the charging rate, ie its
going to be be slower when its not running very fast. I think if a battery
dips below about 11v outside of starter transients, you have to charge it
or get a new one. This very accurate sensing these days can often mask a
battery on its last legs though, as people tend to ignore warnings if the
car still works, then they leave it a couple of days and it won't start!

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Commander Kinsey wrote

How does a lead acid battery charger (or car alternator) know when to
switch to trickle charge?

From the current the battery takes.

I can understand it noticing a drop in charging current if the battery
is on its own, but what if a random changing load is connected, as there
is in a running car?

You just look at the current going to the battery. The variably
loads like with lights isnt supplied by the battery when the
engine is running, its supplied by the alternator.