Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Weed-proofing a gravel path

On 22 Jun 2019 04:13:09 GMT, Marland wrote:

You could try the application of a Flame Gun. Works OK for me on

the
gravel patch in my front garden.

Damn forgot I have one of those, having spent the best part of a day
weeding the slate chippings.

Those little things only tickle things as my Dad used to say,

That's all you need to do, you don't incenerate the weeds in place.
The blast of heat damages the plant cells and they wither within
days.

Go for the Sheen paraffin version. Still available to the same design it
has used since the 1950's.

Older ones often on EBay ...

Be better for a larger area than a small handheld gas jobbie.

... sold by people who have scared themselves using them,especially
their propensity to fire 6ft jets of flame on start up.

Yes, remember that happening when Dad was lighting a paraffin
blowlamp. I think it happens when you try to turn on the paraffin
before everything has got hot enough from the meths to vapourise it.
Still got that blowlamp must try it some time. Also a petrol one,
IIRC that needs a preheat but self pressurises, not sure I have the
courage to try out, Dad didn't like it either.

Get the knack though and it makes weed killing fun.

A gas torch-on-felt burner would be a suitable alternative but no
where near as much fun. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.