Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default chip breakers for plastics

wrote in message

I am trying to help a guy who is opening a machine shop. Which is kind of
comical since I have no experience in commercial machining.

He has a job machining peek plastic. And has a problem with long strings of
the plastic jamming the chip conveyor. Now I am a novice but do know
enough when confronted with a problem the first thing to do is find out what
others have done. So how do you deal with strings of plastic?

When manual machining plastics I just pause feeding te avoid having one
long chip. But maybe there is a better way. This is being done on a cnc
turning center.

Dan

Never having used a real turning center my feedback may be moot, but what I
have done on the manual lathe is make sure my cutter is very sharp, cranked
up the RPM and placed a garbage can where the arc of the chip shooting out
into space is piling up.

My biggest issue with plastic on the lathe otherwise was it getting into my
chuck and gumming it up. Had to take it all apart. Not just pull the jaws.