Default Striker Plate Hassles

Why do they always make striker plates the same size as the striker.
I put one on my garage last summer, and of course the slab moved a
little in the winter. Now the door wont latch, and I will need to
move the striker plate up about 1/8 inch. Of course, the screws wont
get a decent hole being so close to the old holes. Why in the heck
cant they makes the holes in these plates longer, to compensate for
movement. I guess these engineers went to college for 4 or more
years, but never learned how a door works....

I'm considering a small grinder on the end of my dreml tool to enlarge
the hole, rather than move the plate.