Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How common is TN-C-S household wiring in the UK with combined PEN

On 18/06/2019 16:02, Scott wrote:
On Tue, 18 Jun 2019 12:58:50 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

On 18/06/2019 09:13, Martin Brown wrote:

Arising from the EV Charging in the UK thread I am having an argument
with a USian who insists that UK wiring is unsafe and uses a combined

Its a little rich for someone in the US to complain that *our*
electrical systems are unsafe... You only need look at the electrocution
stats where they have annual death rates of thousands a year compared
with the "tens" per year we would expect here

I heard that with 110V it is recognised practice to test for live
using one finger. Is this apocryphal?

No. I had to administer first aid to a US installation engineer being
trained at our facility in the UK who used that approach on UK mains. It
threw him across the room knocking the wind out of him entirely. After
the incident a warning was added to training materials never to do this!

Warm sweet tea aided his recovery but he was lucky not to be more
seriously hurt. One of my friends at university got hold of the wrong
end of a Jesus lead with serious very burns to his hand resulting.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown