Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Type of oil

On Tue, 18 Jun 2019 23:13:17 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

On 06/18/2019 05:49 PM, wrote:
The AMC 232 6 cylinder used to foul #5 pretty regularly. I had one and
2 of my friends had them. We all had the same plug failing. It was
always #5. I figured out early on, you just chipped out the fouling
and stuck it in one of those powder abrasive, air power, plug cleaners
and it was good as new. I used to keep a couple in my glove
compartment along with a plug socket and a crank style speed wrench
under the seat. I could swap that plug at a long light.

My father bought a '62 Rambler Classic in part because he was a firm
believer in 15" wheels but it had the 195. I don't recall engine
problems but staying in alignment wasn't its strong suit. He traded it
in on a '65 Dodge which was a short turnaround. Usually it was 5 or 6
years between cars.

I learned to drive on the thing as well as developing a dislike for
Romneys... At least it wasn't an American.

For some strange reason I had 2 AMCs at the same time, the Gremlin and
a 72 Jeep with the 304 that had a weak timing chain and a known
problem with the main shaft bearing in the transmission (you know the
first thing they put in the case when they build one). I learned all
about B/W T 10 transmissions. ;-)
The problem was so bad, every bearing at the dealer was bad too. I
ended up at a real bearing store to get a good bearing.
The guy at the bearing store knew about the bad batch too.

I have to say the 2 AMCs I had lived a hard life and were sold for a
decent buck ($500 for the Gremlin and $1500 for the Jeep) but they did
have problems.