Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Type of oil

On Tue, 18 Jun 2019 21:22:15 -0400, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Tue, 18 Jun 2019 19:49:38 -0400, wrote:

On Wed, 19 Jun 2019 07:28:36 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

Good handling, not bad acceleration, roomy enough for me and I'm a big
guy.. After a lot of years and miles, it started to eat spark plugs. I'd
have to change them every 1000 to 1500 miles.

Weird, never saw anything like that. You sure you
were using the right ones ? Cant see how any
engine can develop a fault that eats spark plugs.

The AMC 232 6 cylinder used to foul #5 pretty regularly. I had one and
2 of my friends had them. We all had the same plug failing. It was
always #5. I figured out early on, you just chipped out the fouling
and stuck it in one of those powder abrasive, air power, plug cleaners
and it was good as new. I used to keep a couple in my glove
compartment along with a plug socket and a crank style speed wrench
under the seat. I could swap that plug at a long light.

You were lucky it was only #5.

The years when they first started using chrome rings many of them just
would NOT break in. A quart in 500 miles at 3000 miles was not out of
the ordinary.
Someone came up with a REALLY simple fix.
2000 RPM, aircleaner off, and sift a few tablespoons of Bon Ami
cleanser down the carb throat.

Went from a quart in 500 to a quart in 1500 almost immediately - if
you did it early enough. If you waited for the rings to carbon up it
didn't work.

Usually did it just before an oil change. I worked at an AMC
dealership in '72

This wasn't oil fouling it was lead (or whatever that white crusty
stuff is). This was always just #5. I could put that plug in #4 and it
would work for years. A brand new one in 5 would foul in a month or
two. This was a throw away 71 Gremlin I got for free but I couldn't
kill it. I just needed to keep cleaning #5.
My buddy had an Ambassador with exactly the same problem. I used to
clean plugs for him too.