Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tricky Dicky[_4_] Tricky Dicky[_4_] is offline

Default How do I hang a radiator on a Thermalite block wall?

A nearby timber supplier in his hardware section has some concrete bolts that have a very coarse thread in a slow helix and it occurred to me that they might make quite a useful termalite fixing. Unfortunately having left termalite blocks in our last house I am not going to be able to try them out. At our last house the most effective fixing I ever used was a Fischer nylon plug with four vanes in a slow helix. To fix you drilled a 10mm pilot hole if I remember correctly and then hammered the fixing in. These were the only fixing I ever found that you could fix to and undo without losing integrity in the block. If you were unlucky to hit a mortar line then they could be problematic to get in. Unfortunately it seems that Fischer no longer make that particular plug but claim their general purpose nylon plug is suitable for aerated concrete.

Richard