Posted to rec.woodworking
Spalted Walt Spalted Walt is offline

Default What Are The Marks On These Pieces Of Wood?

DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Monday, June 17, 2019 at 11:18:13 PM UTC-4, Sonny wrote:
On Monday, June 17, 2019 at 8:45:13 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Or the "foul smell" was Creosote, prolly the most widely used
industrial wood preservative 'back in the day' for utility poles,
railroad crossties, etc.

And good riddance. I didn't have to even smell it to break out in
hives. Nasty stuff.

The foul smell on my salvaged pieces wasn't creosote. The cross pieces were not treated with creosote. Only the poles were.

Albeit, despite creosote smelling bad, it's still around in older pieces, poles, posts. Some of the high line poles on my street are creosote treated. Related: As to the child nursery, next door, the kids wait for the school bus at the road, near a pole and the ditch. The kids like to watch the minnows in the ditch, hugging the post as they watch, leaning over the "view". I wrapped the pole, up to 8' with "decorative" lumber (red cedar), to protect the kids from the burns from the creosote. The wrapping is easily removable, for any utility maintenance, work, etc.

Sonny

On behalf of the children, thank you!

+1
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CrXIUckWEAEAObU.jpg