Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Type of oil

On 6/17/2019 9:09 PM, wrote:

Was it burning the oil or just leaking? Those push rod tubes were
famous for dripping. There were a few tricks to plug the leak but the
right fix was to pull the jugs and put in new tubes. On an old VW,
dropping the engine was a 2 hour thing and more like an hour the
second time you did it. Two guys could easily hold it or one guy (me)
and a floor jack.
I bought a 58 bug and made a dune buggy out of it. Before it was over,
I got to know quite a bit about VWs.

I had a '64 Karmann Ghia convertible. The body was rusted out and it
was hit when parked so I sold the engine. It was rebuilt and in great
shape.

The guy I sold it to cut a couple of wires for a short cut but had it
out in less than 15 minutes.