Vince

Default Residential Telephone Interface

Hello:

What is the purpose of the diode, resistor, and capacitor network
circuit that is within the junction box just inside my basement wall?

I recently had a malfunction of connection to the local telephone
company. (The wire connection at the outside Junction Box was brittle
and broke away from the RED terminal.) In the process of
troubleshooting, I removed the connections of the diode from the RED
wire terminal and of a 0.464 uF capacitor from the GREEN wire
terminal. There was no apparent difference noted during normal
operation when this network is disconnected.

There is an identification marking of: " AM-1 " followed by
" 843749409 " on the pc board.

This network appears to be a series connection of a diode cathode (at
the RED term,), a 25 k ohm resistor, and a 0.464 uF capacitor (at the
GREEN term).

Can someone point me to a reading reference that explains what
voltages and signals are present between/at the RED and the GREEN wire
connections ?

Thank you.
Vince
eMail:

subsitute wa dot tworsx and verizon dot net