Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pancho Pancho is offline

Default Streaming TV around the house.

The thread on HDMI streaming menntioned streaming TV boxes, so I got
interssted and did some research.

And came up with TVheadend - a TV server that can read a DVB card or
dongle and allow streaming of TV programs to suitable clients.

So I installed in on my Liniux Mint Server and yes, it works pretty well.

Howver, be warned, this installation for me was everything that gives
Linux a bad name. The code would not install without some manual
installation having to be done.

And the instructions were totally opaque. Definitely written by a
progranmmer for other programmers.

BUT it works . I can watch TV on any computer on the network that has
VLC installed,Â* and indeed after installation of the appropiate 'app',
on my friggin smart phone.

And recording is a doddle too.

So its a great DIY replacement for a TV stremaing box+PVR but not for
the faint heraterd. You can however download a complete OS installation
that takes out some of the pain and will allow an obsolete PC to become
a video server.

For streaming Freesat I used to use DVBviewer, Windows only, it was
excellent.

Eventually I gave up on broadcast TV and hence had no need to stream on
the LAN. Now I just stream direct from the internet, Youtube, Amazon
Prime, Netflix etc, or use VLC to play video files stored on a LAN file
server.

I did briefly try TVheadend it was a bit of work but usable there was a
Linux paid for package that was easier, more polished, but I can't
remember what it was called, maybe DVBStreamer?