Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Extending Circuits

On Sat, 15 Jun 2019 12:32:47 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 6/15/2019 11:59 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Saturday, June 15, 2019 at 10:22:44 AM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
Redoing entryway to old house...the new wiring will be just all the
previous electrical circuits only we've widened the entry by a couple
feet so will be short just a little.

It would be a very big deal to have to try to re-pull all the way from
the panel so my idea is to put a box in the closet for the splices.

Question is, is there a box w/ just landing terminals for the purpose
rather than just a bunch of loose connections? My quick search didn't
really find what I was thinking of. Could always mount a couple of bars
in a box to make one...

For thinking about, the end result is:

A) one ganged set of four switches by the entry door -- one 4-way for
yard light, one for porch light, one for the entry (hoping can figure
out way to turn this into 3-way w/o needing another run from main--if
not it'll just stay as is) and one 4-way for dining room.

B) light switch to closet

C) power feeds to A) and B)

Can run all new runs from those new switches to fixtures, of course,
it's only the extensions to them that needs connection to the feeds...

For construction, pulled everything out of boxes leaving hooked up so
and just wrapped up well and hid in the wall cavity of main structure
until get new construction under roof and can open up to the main house
again...that could be as early as late next week if weather cooperates.

--

Typically you just add on to the existing circuit by joining the wires
in typical receptacle or switch boxes. Or you can just add a new box

Yeah, but it's butt ugly...

You can use the euro style terminal blocks. Just be sure to get the
U/L, ETL or TUV listed ones (CE doesn't count).
https://tinyurl.com/y34b4lm8
They can be a long strip of these.

For the grounds you can use a regular bus bar like you see in panels.
That can make a very neat installation. I did it when I replaced my
service panel to extend the wires that were too short. It avoided
that jumble of wire nuts you are talking about.