Posted to rec.woodworking
Brewster[_2_] Brewster[_2_] is offline

Default Dovetails to assm. boards for raised garden

On 6/13/19 6:48 PM, Dave wrote:
On 6/13/19 2:14 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
On 6/13/2019 2:01 PM, Jerry Osage wrote:
entire length o

I assume these are landscape timbers at least 4 X 4 or 4 X 6 Though
with a little more care I believe it could be done on a 2 x 6, etc.
May be make a jig for the saw to give additional support that could be
quickly clamped to the timber..

I believe the easiest way would be to carefully set your skil saw to a
45 angle. Mark the neck of the dove tail carefully and then cut one
side of the dove tail by gone one way through the board, and reverse
the saw and come the other way for the other side. Think it through
as you could get some anti dovetails.

After the side cuts are made make a series of cuts throught the was
area and take the chips out with a chisel.

The materials are 4 of 4x4's for the corner posts, and either 3 of 2"x6"
per side, or 2 of 2"x8" per side. The end of each 2"x would have a
sliding dovetail - 16 to 24 dovetails! While I don't disagree with the
methods proposed here, it is too much time and effort. That is why I
asked about the use of routers or other methods. Also, I don't have a
table saw, so some of the cuts proposed would lack the accuracy needed.

If you are interested, the plan can be found at:
http://www.vegetable-gardening-with-...n-designs.html

Design #4

Dave,

I'd just use a jig saw for the tenon pieces and a large drill but to hog
out the sockets then refine the angles with a chisel. Any gaps will fill
up with crud in no time at all being used outside 8^)

-BR