Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.driving,alt.home.repair,uk.legal
Commander Kinsey Commander Kinsey is offline

Default Legalities of changing sockets and brakes in England?

On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 04:28:41 +0100, Xeno wrote:

On 14/6/19 9:07 am, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Thu, 13 Jun 2019 01:04:23 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

[snipped spurious newsgroups,

They're relevant newsgroups, arsehole.

added by pet troll]

Why do you keep replying to a thread created by someone you call a
troll? Are you a ****ing idiot? Learn to operate your killfile properly.

On 12/06/2019 18:16, Brian Reay wrote:
On 12/06/2019 18:02, Commander Kinsey wrote:
This is insane. Legally (like anyone pays any attention to these
laws) you cannot do simple things like fitting an electrical socket to
your own home, but you can change the brakes on your car. The second
one is FAR more dangerous to other people!

https://www.mglondon.uk/blog/electri...n-electrician/

While I'm no fan of Part P and I'm not defending it, perhaps you'd be
less irate if you checked a decent source.

That one has obvious contradictions. Eg: Look at the entry referring to
sockets in both lists. (Item 1 in first list, 3&4 in second list.)

The article quoted is full of nonsense anyway.

Excuse me while I laugh "theyre a legal requirement and are strictly
enforced.", yeah right.

Part P does not have a requirement to use a "fully qualified"
electrician. In cases were work is notifiable, work would need to either:

1) be done by someone who is a member of a competent person scheme;
(might be someone who has done a part P domestic installer course, and
does not know ohms law from his elbow).

2) be done under the auspices of building control;

3) be tested and signed off by someone who is a member of a third party
inspection scheme.

(the latter option being newer than the first two)

Of their list of "notifiable jobs". The following are not notifiable:

Re-wire sockets or lights that are faulty and causing the fuse to
trip
Install outdoor or garden lights that run off mains electricity
Install additional sockets or a light switch as a spur from a
ring main
Install communal hallway smoke alarms or emergency lighting
Install home entry systems
Install electric radiators (where there werent any before)

There are only a small number of notifiable jobs now:

Installing a new circuit
Replacement of a Consumer unit

So was I a naughty boy when I moved my consumer unit to another room?
What about my gas pipe? It's my ****ing house, nobody's business.

It is when your house explodes and takes out all your neighbouring
houses. Yes, that happens.

Gas has a distinctive odour, I'd know if I did it wrong.