Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default HDD trouble

Out of date bios or whatever its called these days?
I've even had this happen with a particular ram stick in a usb on one
machine. Reason? Not the foggiest, it is fine in a newer pc.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
wrote in message
I hope someone has more clue than I on this one.

This PC has a mix of SATA & PATA HDDs:
2G for data
Something with a 64G partition for OS, linux mint
And an old 250G used now & then for a partial backup - other backup HDDs are
larger.

All working well. I fit a 500G HDD from a PVR on SATA, gparted format it,
keeping it as FAT32. After this the pc won't even try to boot. Setup shows
the correct HDD is still flagged for first boot attempt, but nothing. It
does its hardware checks, reports the HDDs then hangs.

Remove the new 500G and everything works again.

Er, what's going on?

NT