Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What Are The Marks On These Pieces Of Wood?

DerbyDad03 on Fri, 14 Jun 2019 19:04:46 -0700
(PDT) typed in rec.woodworking the following:
On our recent trip to Oregon we walked along the docks in Astoria, right
near the original Bumble Bee Tuna cannery on the Columbia River.

All of the wood on the docks, the railings and even the railroad ties
look like the following. There was a mixture of old wood and new and it
all looked like this:

https://i.imgur.com/IOgfmsB.jpg

Do the "dashes" serve a purpose? Are they perhaps marks from where
preservative was injected?

Yes.
--
pyotr filipivich