Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Clare - are smaller car tires easier to balance than SUV tires?

On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 14:51:53 -0400, Tekkie®
wrote:

Clare Snyder posted for all of us...

On Wed, 12 Jun 2019 05:52:33 -0000 (UTC), "Arlen G. Holder"
wrote:

Clare - are smaller car tires easier to balance than SUV tires?
https://i.postimg.cc/kG1M7cLd/mount15.jpg

A neighbor was in need of tires who knew that I had bought a few extra for
her long ago where they've been sitting outside in the rain & mud for
months waiting for her to need them.
https://i.postimg.cc/7L8HPbtb/mount16.jpg

She finally wore through the belts and had to stop over for an "emergency"
tire change, which I did for her, but she was in a rush so we did it in
about 20 minutes from start to finish.

I had to do it so fast that I didn't see the yellow dot until I looked at
this picture, where I mounted the red dot to the valve stem instead of the
yellow dot as you had recommended for when there are no match mounting
marks.

I did statically balance and she reported no vibration whatsoever. I didn't
spend a lot of time cleaning up things so I'm surprised there's no
imbalance given how quickly I did the job for her.

Just wondering if you've found that these tiny 14-inch tires are a piece of
cake compared to the normal truck SUV tires (like the Optimo's that I'm
used to) both in terms of mounting and balancing?

Yes and no. The smaller tire has less total mass so a small amount
of weight has more effect than it would on a bigger tire - but it is
not as far from the center (shorter moment arm) so it has less effect.

GOOD tires of any size are easier to ballance than crappy tires. Ealy
Hankooks were a real pain to ballance. Apparentlythey have gotten
better.

I had a set of early Hankooks and could not get rid of the vibration. IIRC I
got Conti's with very good results.

Could never figure out exactly how many corners Hankook figured
there were in a circle - - - -