Posted to alt.home.repair
Arlen G. Holder Arlen G. Holder is offline

Default Clare - are smaller car tires easier to balance than SUV tires?

On Thu, 13 Jun 2019 11:45:55 -0400, Clare Snyder wrote:

Running the dang things half flat or cornering like an idiot

Hi Clare,

Thanks for that advice, as I am "trying" to "read" the story of tires, but
I'm not doing well as most of it is cryptic to me, while it might be
obvious to you - so I appreciate any insight you can give on how you read
tire wear.

I agree with you that it's unusual for a gouge that big that the treads
were visible underneath, as shown below...
https://i.postimg.cc/hjgtsc3Z/mount21.jpg
and where the tire finally just deflated in split second while she was
pulling out of her driveway.
https://i.postimg.cc/4dTBPZDQ/mount19.jpg

Driving on tires like that should be criminal

I have two more tires to put on for her for her rears, which are worn more
evenly (she probably doesn't rotate?) so I told her to wait until she
needed them since they are just sitting outside (I moved them into the
garage as they were getting dirty in the rain over the winter).

I have never owned a FWD vehicle so I'm not sure yet how the wear patterns
differ, but this set of tires seems to be worn on both outside edges with
the actual edge being hit the hardest.
https://i.postimg.cc/RCRdRMWd/mount22.jpg