Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY[_2_] NY[_2_] is offline

Default M62 Speed Cameras?

"Adrian" wrote in message
Variation on that, a (sadly long since departed) friend had a car where
the reg on the front was different to the one on the back (e.g. AAB and
ABB) when supplied new. This was sorted out by the dealer very quickly,
but not before they'd supplied a plate to go on the trailer. Unfortunately
the trailer plate had the wrong version on.

Fast forward several years, and whilst towing through North Wales, he got
pulled up by the local plods. As he driven past a road end, the eagle
eyed plod had spotted the difference in the two plates. After a short bit
of advice ("sort it out") he was sent on his way.

Nice bit of observation by the plods.

I wonder how often policemen and traffic wardens do that sort of check -
probably on parked cars - as they are passing on other business. It was said
that when tax discs were abolished, it stopped police and traffic wardens
doing a cursory check on cars that they were passing to make sure that a)
the car had a tax disc rather than a beer label, and b) that the tax disc
was for the right car make/reg. Nowadays they have to have reasonable
suspicion (rather than just routine check) to do a PNC check to make sure
that a car is taxed, insured and (if necessary) MOTed.

My tax disc once fell off the window as I was driving along, and a few
seconds later a policeman walked out into the road to stop me for failure to
display. I was able to show him the disc on the dashboard, with the holder
still wet with my spit where I'd attached it after replacing the old disc
with the new one.